Whether speaking in front of a group, a high stakes meeting, or a difficult conversation, we've all faced situations that cause anxiety. Whenever we feel threatened, the lower, primitive brain gets triggered and can hijack the logical brain.
I just got back from a networking event. Networking is a form of public speaking - it's your sales presentation. If you're like me, you experience the speakers as unclear or they're so long-winded that you tune out. In business, your elevator speech is the most important presentation. Speakers who are unclear are leaving money on the table. So I decided to challenge myself to describe what I do in 7 words or less. There's a magic to the number 7: Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, The Seven Seals, Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, and Lucky Sevens.
Here's what I came up with: Reduce speaking anxiety and monetize your mouth.
After I sent this out to our listserve, a number of people commented about how much they loved it and how well it describes what I do as an executive speaking strategist. So, I decided to offer the same challenge to people in my network. Admittedly, it was difficult. But I was proud of some of the responses that came in. Here is a sampling:
- Cut costs without cutting corners. -Yosef Rabinowitz
- I increase people's retirement income 30%. -Ronald Stair
- Helping businesses free up cash and time. -Stacy Luft
- Catalyst for gaining, retaining, reactivating & recovering business. -Sheila Ziegler
- Engage and cultivate to sell and prosper. -Regina Bonolo
- Expos your business to qualified leads. -Mark Newart
- Help you plan for future financial security. -Jeanne McDonald
- I make real estate dreams come true. -Mona Holzman
- Protecting you and your family's financial future. -Liran Hirschkorn
- Resolving business disputes through artbitration and mediation. -David Abeshouse
- I save businesses money in merchant services. -Michael Bernstein
- Highly experienced, business-savvy, entrepreneurial lawyer. -Craig Delsack
- Protect your special needs child legally and financially. -Marie Cantone
- People Person, Talent Connector, Staffing Administrative Jobs. -Amparo Connors
- I coach men and women through divorce. -Heidi Bernstein-Krantz
- Green solutions for your pest control problems. -Andrew Luxenberg
- Optimize your organization by implementing effective policies. -Sheila Cockburn
- Branding: it's not just for cows anymore. -Regina Finkelstein
- Walk your path pain free, holistic podiatry. -Dr. Sherri Greene
What about you? What do you do in seven words or less? Let us know in the comments.